RSA Support Services

Waikato / King Country / Bay of Plenty Support Advisor


Appointments by arrangement can be made through the Tauranga RSA Office. Please contact Shelley Kerr at Tauranga RSA on: 07 578 9654. Local RSAs provide welfare services designed to assist ex-servicemen and women in need, whether or not they are members of a Returned Services’ Association.

Each RSA appoints a Support Advisor to co-ordinate these services and to give advice on the various community services available to ex-service personnel and their families.


How We Help

RSA assistance ranges from monetary grants for those in financial difficulty, to help with practical tasks, visiting the sick, meals-on-wheels, and offering friendship and support in times of need

Who We Help

Help is available to all ex-servicemen and women, their spouses/partner, widows/widowers and dependants, whether or not they are members of an RSA


Overseas Veterans

Help and contact details for overseas veterans that are now resident in New Zealand.

Pensions Advice & Welfare Services

RSA offers assistance to the ex-service community in a number of ways, most importantly by making pensions advice and welfare services easily accessible and widely available to all ex-servicemen and women.

Arrange An Appointment

Appointments by arrangement with the Welfare Officer can be made through the Tauranga RSA Office. *Membership of the RSA is not necessary.

Call us on 07 578 9654 to arrange a convenient time and day to meet

RSA Welfare Services

RSA Welfare Services aim to ensure that no ex-serviceman or woman suffers undue hardship. Each RSA has a Welfare Officer to assist and advise on the many community services available to all ex-service personnel and their families, and when appropriate on sources of financial assistance from RNZRSA, RSA and other welfare funds.

You May Be Entitled

Many of you may be receiving a War Disablement Pension for certain conditions such as Hearing Loss and Tinnitus. It is important, however, to ensure you are actually receiving your full entitlements, some of which may go beyond hearing and the like.

It is our aim to ensure that you do draw your full entitlement(s) in all cases.

So, what conditions might qualify? If you have had War or Emergency Service, there is a considerable list that may be accepted as attributable to or aggravated by that service. Because conditions for acceptance can differ from applicant to applicant and theatre to theatre, it’s not possible to set out a comprehensive list here – it is too long and varied for that.

The good news is, however, that RSA Pensions and Welfare Advisors are well versed in the conditions that may be applied for and are very willing to advise you. It is important that you talk with them because some conditions are related to others and it would be fruitless to apply for every condition you may have when this situation occurs. It’s also the case that applying for “everything” in the hope that “something” will stick can clog up the system. This can cause delays both for you and for others, which is frustrating for everybody. Once again your friendly RSA Pensions and Welfare Advisor can help you sort out the wood from the trees.

Surviving spouses of deceased veterans may be able to apply for a pension also. Because evidence can be lost or misplaced as time goes by, however, sometimes this process can become quite complicated. Here, too, you should seek advice from your RSA Pensions and Welfare Advisor.

Veterans’ Pension

This is often confused with the War Disablement Pension. One way to think of it is as another form of NZ Superannuation – the pension is the same but with some advantages. These include a larger Funeral grant if you qualify. Also an automatic Community Services card and, should you have to remain in Hospital for 13 weeks or more, the Veterans’ Pension is still paid at the full rate.

To qualify for a Veterans’ pension you need to be over 65 years of age and be on a War Disablement pension of 70% or more. Or you may qualify at less than 65 years of age if you have served in a recognised war or emergency and are unable to work for a substantial period due to either a physical or psychological disability, refer to Veterans’ Affairs New Zealand.

A Surviving Spouse pension may be payable to the Widow(er) or Partner of a Veteran who is on the Veterans’ Pension provided that certain conditions are met. Again seek the advice of your RSA Pensions and Welfare Advisor.

Tauranga RSA Proudly Supported By